title






I'm Tom Rainford, a Studio AKA animation director. If you fancy taking a look at my portfolio, you can find it on my website, or if you want to get in touch, feel free to send me an email.





Thursday 1 July 2010

D&AD Student Awards 2010

Well, it finally happened. The day I've been waiting for. On June 29th I headed to the Old Spitalfields Market in London to attend the D&AD Student Awards. Was it great? Yes. Did I win? Not quite, but I did get this.

Big congratulations to Chris Arrowsmith and Chris Howker who topped the category, they were great competition and worthy winners. Thanks to Ed D'Souza and Tim Metcalf for coming to show their support too. Sorry the 'fries' turned out to be squid, Ed.


If I get this opportunity again I'll know a few things to keep in mind. The most important thing is to remember to not eat beforehand. I must have passed up hundreds of pounds worth of free food, all becasue of a London-priced and average tasting panini I tucked into moments prior.


Anyone who turned up (foolsihly) wearing a white wristband was at risk of being pestered by me. White wristbands meant industry people. I had prepared.


Pull-out business cards. Painted design. Handmade cases.

Unfortunately I didn't get to meet any of the judges of my category or many other industry representitives that were in illustration or animation, so as you can imagine I have a quite a few spares.

The whole thing has been a wonderful and valuable experience and I can't wait until November to get stuck in again.